Did you know that the Abbey Inn of Cedar City also has three vacation home rentals? These homes are adjacent to the hotel and include all of the hotel amenities along with a FULL HOT BREAKFAST! These vacation homes are the perfect solution for a large party visiting the National Parks, Shakespeare Festival, or the Utah Summer Games. To find out more and to reserve your vacation home rental CLICK HERE
September 20, 2014
August 21, 2014
Have you ever wondered what happens to the millions of bars of soap that hotels discard every day? Like so many other useful things, it is often thrown in the garbage and sent to our landfills where it sits indefinitely. At the same time, there are millions of people who are living without basic hygiene, and the resulting illnesses claim more than 1.7 million lives each year.
Fortunately, the Global Soap Project has created a way to eliminate these two problems with one solution, and we at the Abbey Inn are proud to partner with them in this endeavor. We collect used soap and send it to the GSP plant in Las Vegas where it is purified and reprocessed into new bars. In the last six months, we have collected and donated about 200 pounds of used soap.
The new soap bars are shipped to 32 different countries to help vulnerable populations like disaster victims, refugees, the homeless, and mothers and children living in extreme poverty. There, it saves lives and helps prevent illnesses such as pneumonia and diarrhea.
Simple hand washing with soap is something we take for granted, and we are thankful for the Global Soap Project for giving us a way to offer this basic necessity to others.
When you are staying at the Abbey Inn or any other participating hotel, you can help by cleaning your used soap and removing any debris. See www.globalsoap.org to help the cause of spreading health.
July 6, 2014
Utah Shakespeare Festival Tips
Over the years, we at the Abbey Inn have learned a few things about Cedar City during the Shakespeare Festival: how to avoid crowds, how to get the most bang for your buck, and how to fill your vacation with life-long memories. Here are some tips to help you plan your “Shakesperience.” Let us know any ideas that you have.
For Your Convenience & Comfort
- Double check your dates before booking your tickets. (Tickets are non-refundable and cost $5/ticket to change dates.)
- Dress in layers (The Adam’s theater is outdoors, and a sprinkle of rain happens occasionally. Also, the AC in the Randall Jones and Auditorium can make the indoor theaters pretty chilly. If you get too hot, you can always take off a layer.)
- Let us make your dinner reservations. (Evening play orientation starts at 6 pm, the Green Show at 7, and the plays at 8. If you wish to eat at 5, you will want a reservation to get ahead of the crowds.)
- Stay at the Abbey Inn, of course! (#1 hotel on TripAdvisor.com, close to dining, shopping, and about a 10 minute walk to the festival.)
Get a Good Deal
- Plan to visit at the end of August and during the fall. (Fewer crowds and less expensive rooms and tickets.)
- Come in groups of at least 5 rooms and 12 people. (The festival and the Abbey Inn offer group discounts.)
- Stay in one of the Abbey’s vacation homes (You can cook your own meals and accommodate more people for less.)
- Ask us about a current “last minute deal.”
Have More Fun
- Visit the national parks & monuments (You don’t need to be “outdoorsy” to enjoy the beauty of Southern Utah. Get an annual pass, and you can come as often as you like and visit other parks across the country.)
- Shop Cedar City’s Historic Downtown (Unique decor and clothing stores, a classic drugstore with soda bar, a cozy coffee and bookshop, restaurants, etc.)
- Golf and Massage (Play a round of golf among the red rocks of Cedar City and relax with a soothing massage before your plays. We are happy to reserve a tee time and a massage for you.)
- Southern Utah University (Take family pictures on the lovely campus, tour the Braithwaite Art Gallery, see music and dance concerts, or cheer at a game.)
- Frontier Homestead Museum (Learn about Cedar City heritage)
May 3, 2014
There are so many ways to save on lodging during you trip to Cedar City. Here are our top recommendations. Let us know if you have any other ideas.
Avoid online travel sites (i.e. Expedia, Priceline, etc.)
By booking with us directly, you can negotiate, modify, or cancel a reservation
more easily because you eliminate the middleman.
Be ﬂexible on dates and stay on weekdays (Sunday-Thursday)
Rates vary depending on season and occupancy. To get the best deal, stay during the
Travel in groups
We offer discounted rates if you have 5 or more rooms.
Ask for a last minute upgrade
If a suite is available, you may be able to get it for a discounted rate.
Ask about a our loyalty program
We offer frequent stay programs, extended stay programs, and bounce back deals. Let us know you will be returning.
February 5, 2014
This Saturday, February 8th will be the second installment in the Brian Head Triple Crown series. Snow boarders will compete in the Slope Style event on the newly constructed Bypass Terrain Park at Brian Head where they will perform a variety of outstanding tricks. This event begins at 1 pm.
This is Brian Head’s first season hosting the Triple Crown event. The Rail Jam, the first event in the series, was a huge success with incredible talent turning out to compete. There are 4 categories for professional, amateur, men, and women with each category awarding 3 prizes. It’s only $5 to register and free to watch, so make your way up here and enjoy what we hope will be a long standing tradition at Brian Head.
The third and final installment is coming up on March 8th, the Big Air event. Details coming soon.
January 7, 2014
Get 15% OFF your stay at the Abbey Inn and…
Book your ski vacation today!
December 12, 2013
Brian Head Opening Day will December 15, 2013. All lifts are planned to open by December 15, 2013 (weather permitting).
Operating Hours (Mountain Standard Time)
10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
9:30 am to 4:30 pm Saturday, Sunday, and Holiday Periods
Night Skiing and Boarding will begin on Nov. 29, 2013!
Get out and enjoy Brian Head Resort at night. Night skiing and boarding has moved to the Blackfoot lift. This change allows skiers and boarders to enjoy more runs, more vertical and a lighted terrain park.
|Night Skiing (Friday – Saturday and holiday periods)||$20.00|
|*College Night (Thursday Night Skiing and Boarding)||$15.00|
|Night Skiing Upgrade (With the purchase of a day ticket)||$8.00|
|Night Skiing Rentals||$20.00|
Operating Hours (Mountain Standard Time)
4:00pm to 9:00pm Thursday through Saturday
The Abbey Inn offers affordable luxury! Stay with us in Cedar City, UT. Only a short drive to Brian Head – where you can enjoy evenings out after skiing. Go to a movie, go shopping, or pick from many amazing restaurants!
December 1, 2013
With Brian Head only a short 30 minute drive – the Abbey Inn in Cedar City is the ideal location when skiing in beautiful southern Utah. Cedar City offers many dining options, movie theaters, parks, and many other recreational activities. Stay at the Abbey Inn and receive 15% off our standard rate when skiing at Brianhead or Eagle Point. To make reservations click the reservations tab above and use the promo code SKI15.
November 26, 2013
Whether you are out of town or just not in the mood to cook, here are some great options for your Thanksgiving feast this year.
For a traditional turkey dinner
Bards Food & Drink- 1575 W 200 N, 435-865-7645
- Roasted Turkey and Honey Glazed Ham
- Traditional Sage Dressing, Cranberry Chutney, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
- Salad Bar, Soups, Green Beans, and Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Freshly Baked Wheat & White Rolls
- Bard’s Famous Cream Pies & Traditional Pumpkin
Adults $15.99 Seniors $13.99 Children under 11 $8.99 & Children under 3 Free
The Garden House-164 S 100 W, 435-586-6100
The Garden House reservation list is full, but they are accepting walk-ins.
- Turkey, Sirloin, & Sea Food
- Stuffing, potatoes, and other traditional side
- Traditional Pies and a HUGE dessert bar.
In the mood for Mexican? You are in luck!
Brody’s Mexican- 1166 S Sage Dr, 435-531-8773
Roberto’s Taco Shop- 755 S Main St
Bruno’s Italian Deli-1744 W Royal Hunte Dr, 435-867-4477
Just want to kick it and watch the game?
Toadz Lounge – 432 N 100 W, 435-677-3000
Needs some variety?
Denny’s -255 N 1100 W, 435-867-0213
IHOP-next to the Abbey Inn, 435-867-0502
November 4, 2013
In Southern Utah, we’ve all been anticipating opening day at Brian Head Resort for the 2013-2014 ski season. This year promises to be especially exciting as the resort unveils the $3.5 million improvements. Here is a taste of what you will enjoy during your Brian Head ski vacation.
Brian Head improvements include a revamped terrain park called the Stephen Wade Auto Centers Training Grounds, a new tubing park, new night skiing option, new surface lifts, and new dining options.
The Training Grounds will have a construction theme, and it will consist of four progressive park areas where skiers can develop their skills: The Foundation, Detour, Bypass, and Bag Jump (Utah’s one and only bag jump). The park will also feature Advanced Winter Ski School Workshops. Several events will be hosted on the Training Grounds including the Season Kickoff & Rail Jam and the Triple Crown Series featuring slope style, rail jam, and a big air competition.
Night skiing will be moving the Blackfoot lift on Giant Steps mountain and the Bypass terrain park. Skiers will also be able to enjoy the bag jump at night.
Fortunately, the Abbey Inn has also been in the remodeling mode. Our winter guests will enjoy completely remodeled bathrooms, new furniture, and new carpets. And REMEMBER, we offer discounts for skiers with a lift pass. Just call 1-800-325-5411 to book your ski vacation today.